M. Porter
Wednesday June 26, 2013
Macro Econ 122
Professor Kassens
Blog Critique: Is the Real Estate Market Really Recovering?
After reading my
classmates’ blog, “Is the Real Estate Market Really Recovering?” there are
several things that I know now about the real estate market, and where it
stands now in terms of our economy. I agree with the author, the housing and
construction markets have not been the same since the infamous collapse of
2008. However, this being said, it is obvious that our economy has made
enormous steps in terms of recovering recently. One point my classmate,
Griffin, makes the point in his blog is that he believes two main reasons of
the housing market is successfully recovering because of one, interest rates
and mortgage rates are both currently very low, making the thought of buying a
new home more alluring. In addition to these low rates, the average household
income of families has increased, leaving them with more disposable income,
making buying a new house even easier.
Another
interesting fact I learned is that banks foreclosing on homes while people are
living in them is an extremely costly operation for them. It’s been documented
that it can take as long as two and a half years, and cost as much fifty cents
to every dollar for the bank to foreclose a home on someone while they’re
living in it. As a result, banks have increased their short sales, and issued
more loans to homeowners, making it easier and more affordable for them. This aspect of the article was extremely
interesting to me. Personally, I think
this is both a blessing and a curse that banks are doing this. I think that it
is great that banks want to make issuing loans easier on those applying for
them, especially when the average price of a home has increased 10% annually.
However, I feel like this could cause people to over-extend themselves, and indulge
in something that they can’t entirely afford. Additionally, with these rock
bottom interest rates, it will take even longer for the banks to be paid back
and they won’t be paid back as much as they would in the past years. Another part of the blog I found particularly
interesting is how the marketing is doing exceptionally well in both California
and Arizona. Due to the strong demand, there have been more homes constructed
and sold then anywhere else in the United States. We can only hope that
whatever the reason behind this may be, will make its way east across the
nation and the other states will reap the benefits these two states are
currently enjoying.
I
am in full agreement that the housing market is well on its way on making a
full recovery. However, I do not believe that it is entirely back to what it
once was. The construction business used to be an extremely enticing
profession, allowing those working in the business to earn more then an honest
living. I know several people who owned and operated their own housing
businesses who were absolutely devastated by the collapse. Seeing first hand
what the collapse did to the economy only a few years ago, I truly hope that we
will be able to take actions to make sure this does not happen again.
No comments:
Post a Comment