This idea of work-sharing sounds like it could do a lot of
good. I agree that it would be more beneficial to people, both financially and
emotionally, to be able to keep their jobs, even if their hours are lessened.
Under this program, people still have money coming into the household and do
not have to put their lives on hold while they look for another job. This way,
if someone is not happy with working less hours, they still have a job and can
look for one that suits them better without the fear of having no income and
having to go without. I also think that this program could have the potential
to less the blow of a recession. Like I mentioned before, people would still
have money coming in so they might not necessarily cut back on their spending
as much as they would if they lost their job completely. I would like to expand
with my thoughts on one of the issues you mentioned this program having; that
it is difficult to reduce everyone’s paycheck by the same amount. I can imagine
people rushing to get their lawyers if they think that their hours and pay have
been cut unfairly when compared to those of others and it could have the
possibility to cause a lot of headaches and trouble for employers. I disagree
with the idea that was expressed in Bewley’s interviews, that people would feel
like they would not have a job. I think that many people might actually think
themselves lucky to be in any kind of work, especially if the country is in a
particularly bad recession. So, I do not think that low morale based on the
work-sharing program would be as huge of an issue as the interviewed managers
might believe, but that is only my opinion. The laying off of employees could
also have a negative impact on morale for some people. They might think that
they are the next to go and so will not do as good a job as they usually do. Of
course, having people laid off could also provide people who are still employed
with an incentive to work harder in order to keep their jobs. In short, it is
truly difficult to find a way to deal with recessions that do not come with
different problems. Some might even say that it is impossible.
No comments:
Post a Comment