Higher Education Critique
Deanna Miller
I have decided to do my critique on
Josh Mowles’ blog post on higher education.
As a college student and future teacher, I am very interested in what
this article had to say. I feel that
Josh summarized the article fairly well.
He took a lot of the important information and simplified it in his
blog, which made for easy reading. I
really enjoyed this article and the blog post.
There were some important statistics and numbers that I felt should have
been added, but overall, the blog post was very informative.
Josh also did a good job of tying
in things we learned in class into his discussion of the article. He mentioned
interest rates and what exactly they are and what that means for students who
take out loans. Josh also mentioned the
two different fiscal policies the government can use when they are trying to
lower GDP, in which he highlighted lowering expenditures. I also agree with Josh in his critique of the
article when he said that “if the government would control the tuition costs
and keep the interest rates of the loans they offer at a lower level then the
completion rates will fix themselves” (Mowles, 2013) .
I really like the emphasis that
Josh and the author of the article placed on the importance of education, even
though student loan interest rates and interest rates are rising. I thought it was important that Josh also
mentioned how having a college degree can help you. “[T]he increase in lifetime
earning associated with a college degree is now 75 percent higher,” though
completion rates are at an all-time low (Tyson, 2013) ). This fact alone should encourage students to
apply to college and get that degree because it will definitely benefit them in
the long run. That 75 percent higher in
lifetime earnings will help take the sting off of student loan interest rates
because you should be able to pay it back eventually. One thing the article didn’t mention, though
it doesn’t really tie into the them of her article is that students can also
apply for scholarships, which will also help reduce the amount of the loan a
student takes out. There are also
alternatives, like community college, even if it is just for two years, it
definitely cuts down the overall cost of your education.
Works Cited
Mowles, J.
(2013, June 20). Getting More Bang for
the Buck in Higher Education. Retrieved June 25, 2013, from Kassens ECON
122: http://kassensecon122.blogspot.com/2013/06/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html
Tyson, L. D. (2013, June 14). Getting More Bang for the Buck in Higher Education. Retrieved June
25, 2013, from The New York Times: Economix:
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/getting-more-bang-for-the-buck-in-higher-education/?ref=economy&_r=0
No comments:
Post a Comment